Me and Bg are both fond of eating outside. Not everyday, but maybe a couple of days or during the weekends. We both are light eaters. We don’t go to places which have elaborate meals and various varieties and big buffets. What we prefer is are smaller places with light stuff to eat. We do go to other places where we enjoy the North/South Indian delicacies, but that’s occasional, when we have the company of friends or family.
So.. while we eat outside, we have explored a few places that we really like and which we frequent if we are anywhere near that area. I thought I could probably make a list of it, which anyone who has similar tastes like us, will be interested in.
If you are in the South of Bangalore, you have to try out these places (in the order of my favorites) –
* Kavali – this is in Banashankari 2nd Stage, Channammanakere Acchkattu to be precise. This is my most favorite place. They prepare a wide variety of dosas, each of which tastes great! Their menu not only has the usual Masala Dosa, Onion Dosa and like, but also has Open Dosa, Capsicum Dosa, Bread Dosa and even Chocolate Dosa!! My personal favorites are the Capsicum and Onion Dosas. This place still sells coffee for Rs. 6. The size of the cup was reduced recently, which left me disappointed. But it’s still cheaper than the rest.
* SLV – also in Banashankari 2nd Stage. A very small and very old place, but will be teeming with people at all times. Their Idly-Vada, with the chutney poured on it is the best! I love their Masala Dosa too. Also, the coffee tastes great!
* Brahmin’s Cafe Bar – is in Shankarapuram, close to Chamarajpete. Again The Idly-Vada-Chutney, in style similar to SLV is available here. Tastes different, but great. The coffee here too is awesome!
* Roti Ghar – is in Gandhi Bazar. This is a branch of Upahar Darshini (UD). This place is great for both South and North Indian food. Shavige Bath, Paddu and Gobi Manchurian are some of my favorites.
* Chai Point – If not Bg, at least I am an avid tea and coffee lover. Of course Chai Point has a lot of branches. The one we have visited and liked is in N.R Colony. The tea options are great!
* Kaapi Katte – located in RajaRajeshwari nagar main road, this is a small place, where you can see people standing until the road. They serve coffee and tea for Rs. 8 and it tastes great. They have a variety of snack and other beverage options. Their Khara and Salt biscuits are worth munching along with the tea/coffee.
Apart from this we also like enjoying our regular Masala Puri and Pani Puri from a guy who has a mobile stall (gaadi) near Deepak Nursing Home, close to Yediyur. We specially like the taste.
And in the North of Bangalore, where I grew up –
* CTR – located opposite to Malleshwaram grounds, this place is most famous for its Benne Masala Dosa. Benne means butter. The butter is used generously and hence a lot of people like it. Though I find it a tad heavy on the tummy, Bg sure enjoys it. 😛
* Janatha Hotel – in Malleshwaram 8th cross was my all time favorite till recently. Off late the quality of service and food seems to have gone down. 😦 Their Vada was a must have, though I can’t really assure the same now.
* Mint Masala – located at Sadashivnagar, serves lovely tasty food. People who prefer spicy food, may enjoy more here. The place will definitely make you pockets a tad more lighter. It’s a place to go to enjoy an occasional treat.
So anyone interested.. do try out these places and let me know how you found it. 🙂